Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Old Days, Good Times I Remember

I love the internet, there is an endless supply of information, but what I absolutely love is the nostalgia. If you were like me and grew up in the 70's there is so much out there. Recently I found a great deal of 60's and 70's memories on Pinterest and other sites. Great stuff.

Wow it took me back to my childhood so fast and so well. I grew up with some awesome stuff; stuff I had forgotten about completely. Things like Dawn Dolls and Lite Brite, Big Wheels, Rockem Sockem Robots, and click clacks. I saw such great pictures of Spirograph, Hoppin Poppies, Etch A Sketch, Hungry Hippos, Toss Across and Stretch Armstrong to name a few. 

Oh the clothes; platform shoes, Ponchos, bell bottom pants, and polyester suites. Afros and thick mustaches. I had to laugh at some of the things on these sites. The 60's too with the GoGo boots and mini skirts. The decor too, lots of bright orange and yellow. Green appliances and half paneled half wall-papered dining rooms; funky furniture with lots of velvet and crocheted items, canopy beds and plastic fruit on dining room tables.

I remember Love's Baby Soft, Libbyland frozen dinners, Snack N Cake, Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific, Dippity Doo, Mood Rings, Pet Rocks, Sears Wish Book, HR Puf N Stuf, Happy Days, Laugh In, Starsky and Hutch and Mary Tyler Moore.

I don't think I have to mention the music or the prices. The music is endless, and I remember when a slice of Pizza was $.45. The gas shortage brings back memories, Son of Sam, the Jonestown Massacre, Three Mile Island, Mark Spitz, Secretariat and of course Watergate.

I could literally go on all day. The main thing I realize is that these things are a part of who we are, forever. I was young in a great time and I wouldn't change it at all. The other thing I realize is that the longing to go back isn't about things as much as missing those who we loved and lost and that feeling of being a kid; when you were safe and loved and didn't have a care in the world. My generation had innocence and we were kids. 

There are several links if anyone is interested: www.inthe70s.com, www.inthe80s.com,   www.inthe90s.com www.stuckinthe70s.com  www.80snostalgia.com  www.doo-wop.org

The reason this ties into weight loss is that there was one day a few years back when I smelled a familiar smell sorta like french fries but it was unique and it reminded me of Playland (the amusement park I grew up going to) and it made me happy and it made me want french fries, but then it dawned on me that it was my Dad who used to take me there and it was him I was missing. That was an eye opener for me. I didn't go get french fries, I searched for my childhood memories online that reminded me of the love I grew up with and that made me happier than any food ever can. 







No comments:

Post a Comment